Antarctic Adventure

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Turrican
Microbot

Antarctic Adventure

Post by Turrican »

I think this game is perfectly doable on Speccy!
It is a nice game with versions for MSX, NES and Coleco.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Antarctic Adventure

Post by R-Tape »

This rings a bell. Did someone do a version of this already, or maybe just discuss it? It's the kind of project I could imagine @Climacus doing well.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Nice game. I knew it before. It has a sequel called Penguin Adventure which is more advanced, varied and happening not only in Antarctica:

I would suggest making a remake of this sequel if anyone has a wish :)
It is certainly possible on Spectrum, I just wonder how much colour clash it would involve. MSX has better possibilities than Speccy here, so Spectrum version would probably look a bit worse.

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

The audio is easily convertible to Spectrum. Here's my conversion of the in-game music:

ANOTHER adorable (and "doable") penguin game I'd love to see on the Speccy is UPL's Penguin-Kun Wars from 1985:

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

The audio is easily convertible to Spectrum
It's actually a very classic 19th century waltz. Such stuff usually sounds good on Speccy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Patineurs_(waltz)

The title actually means "Ice skaters" so it's highly relevant :)
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:25 am This rings a bell. Did someone do a version of this already, or maybe just discuss it? It's the kind of project I could imagine @Climacus doing well.
Yep, there was one, Russian bound :)

https://x.com/ZXDev2015/status/1281694717126881281

No idea if there is any progress, though!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yep, there was one, Russian bound
Thanks, I didn't know about it.

But it looks like nothing came out of it. There is a longer article here, that you can read with Google Translate:
https://idpixel.ru/news/2134-pingvini-g ... -spectrum/

They admit there that the screenshots are mockups so probably no code was written and nothing more was made.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Someone did a title screen in 2021:

https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/a/art-top/ ... adventure/
Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

That Russian conversion project is kinda notorious for how long the development is going on. That screen above was drawn for it by Art-top, but then it was uploaded separately, I believe after that I've seen them using a copy of the Famicom artwork made by MCH or something? That development team also announced other projects (Ultima 1 for Speccy, Worms for Speccy etc.) and IFAIK all these are also pretty far from completion. Although I wouldn't say that the whole thing is 100% scam or anything, it seems like mismanagement and biting more than you can chew.
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Ivanzx wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:34 am Yep, there was one, Russian bound :)

https://x.com/ZXDev2015/status/1281694717126881281

No idea if there is any progress, though!
Very nice!
flopping
Drutt

Post by flopping »

Grongy wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:02 pm That Russian conversion project is kinda notorious for how long the development is going on. That screen above was drawn for it by Art-top, but then it was uploaded separately, I believe after that I've seen them using a copy of the Famicom artwork made by MCH or something? That development team also announced other projects (Ultima 1 for Speccy, Worms for Speccy etc.) and IFAIK all these are also pretty far from completion. Although I wouldn't say that the whole thing is 100% scam or anything, it seems like mismanagement and biting more than you can chew.
Yeah, I've heard about that Russian conversion project and how it's been dragging on for ages. It's weird that they had Art-top create that screen, only to abandon it and use a copy of the Famicom artwork instead. And what's with all the other projects they've announced, like Ultima 1 for Speccy and Worms for Speccy? It's like they're spreading themselves too thin and can't seem to finish anything. I don't think it's a full-on scam, but more like a case of poor project management and overambition. It's a shame, because I'm sure a lot of people were excited about those projects.